Noobie Question

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
volvoguy50

Noobie Question

Post by volvoguy50 »

Since this is my first post, a quick back-story/intro on me:

I'm not new to MegaSquirt by any means. I've got my 5 Cyl. running on MS3/MS3X and am working to move my 4 cyl. over to MSnS. I go by the same name on the MSExtra forums as well as other Volvo-related sites.

I AM a MegaShift noobie. This is my first automatic setup in a while as it is, so bare with me.

Now onto my question:
When I create a new project in TunerStudio, I direct it to the INI file that I downloaded from the V2 code page. When I do that, TS throws a fit about null errors in the ini file, says the ECU configuration isn't valid, throws 2 more null errors at me, and then bombs out and say it can't open the project.

Am I doing something wrong?

Latest TS beta/RC, version 1.11, licensed. It works fine with both my MS1, MS3, and IOx INI's.
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - The Race Car --> MS3/MS3X on PCB 3.0, IOx, PLX Wideband, MegaShift
1992 Volvo 745 NA Auto - The Daily Driver --> MS1/Extra on PCB 3.57
Bernard Fife

Re: Noobie Question

Post by Bernard Fife »

vvvguy,

I tried with TS 1.004 and get no errors at all on 2.109 and the INI. I will ask Phil if anything has changed in this regard with the latest beta code.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
volvoguy50

Post by volvoguy50 »

Lance wrote:vvvguy,

I tried with TS 1.004 and get no errors at all on 2.109 and the INI. I will ask Phil if anything has changed in this regard with the latest beta code.

Lance.
Alright, will do. Thanks. Unfortunately, 1.11 has been released as stable, so 1.004 and the rest aren't avail. anymore. Luckly I keep ALL TS and MS files so I can revert if needed. :)

EDIT:
I still get some weirdness in 1.004, but I think that's because I'm not connect to a controller or anything - I'm just doing it off-line on my desktop PC. It's throwing errors all over about no MSQ being loaded.
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - The Race Car --> MS3/MS3X on PCB 3.0, IOx, PLX Wideband, MegaShift
LT401Vette

Post by LT401Vette »

This looks like a bug in TunerStudio that is getting tripped by a line the MShift ini. The ini entry is fine and should be loaded.

I was about to put out another release, I will include the fix for this.
volvoguy50

Post by volvoguy50 »

LT401Vette wrote:This looks like a bug in TunerStudio that is getting tripped by a line the MShift ini. The ini entry is fine and should be loaded.

I was about to put out another release, I will include the fix for this.
OK. I posted up on MSExtra in the TS section as well about another issue, so you might wanna check that as well. :lol:
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Thanks for looking at this Phil!
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
dch

Post by dch »

Just saw this and this is the same problem I'm having
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
dch

Post by dch »

Phil posted ver 1.12 last night I can load Mshift as a standalone and run it, but you still can't run it with CAN pass through with MSII, I get 21 errors failed to subscribe to DashComp output CH
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

All,

I have posted a corrected INI for the 2.109 code here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/fi ... t_2109.ini

The previous INI had errors. Two values (sp2prm_cond and sp2gear) had the wrong offsets, and these conflicted with other parameters. They are fixed in the linked file.

Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed the TS <- MS2 <- MShift CAN CAN comms issue, but I am going through the INI with a fine-tooth comb, and hopefully will find something that helps soon. These corrections are necessary in any case.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

All,

It seems that the CAN transfer likes the input pages to be in 8 byte blocks. So I have added 7 bytes to the code and INI as 'pad bytes' for a total of 640 bytes and the CAN comms appear to work perfectly again (w/ MS-II 2.905).

The new 2.110 code and INI are here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2code.html (you may need to refresh this page if you have visited it recently). Anyone experiencing CAN issues should upgrade.

Many thanks to Phil for his work and advice on this! And thanks to users for their patience.

Lance.