What GPIO kit versions would you like to see?

This forum is for general questions you have on assembling and troubleshooting your GPIO board. You can purchase a GPIO board at DIYAutoTune now!
Matt Cramer

What GPIO kit versions would you like to see?

Post by Matt Cramer »

We've drawing up the bill of materials for the GPIO board kits, and could use a little feedback. Our plan is to offer something along the lines of a basic GPIO kit first - this will include the GPIO board itself with SMD parts, AMPSEAL and serial connectors, case with end plates, heat sink, voltage regulator, and a 2 x 25 header for the jumper connections. This basic kit won't include any of the application specific components, because they're different depending on the planned use for the board.

Alongside of the basic GPIO kit, we'll be offering package setups for specific uses. For example, there will be a MegaShift application with the items listed in the MegaShift build guide - four low current drivers, eight TIP120 high current drivers, and all the digital and analog inputs required to run the transmission.

What other sort of kits would there be interest in? EGT input packages? Coil drivers? If there's any other particular circuits that a lot of people need, we'll see if we can make standard kits for them.
joshd

Re: What GPIO kit versions would you like to see?

Post by joshd »

Matt,

I'd be interested in a kit where it comes with:

The GPIO board itself with SMD parts
Serial connectors
heat sink
voltage regulator, and a 2 x 25 header for the jumper connections

This^ would not come with the enclosure, AMPSEAL, or end plates.
Then offer the input/output components available as an individual 'kit' if you will....ie: QTY of 1 EGT input kit would include all the components for a single add-on EGT input circuit.
I know this may read as a bad idea, however I believe trying to 'cookie cut' a GPIO would add additional headache for you as the vendor. This whole concept of this add-on is for custom work in the majority of situations, that said, a pre-populated board/setup will be very limiting in nature to (more-than-likely) the majority of the people. Obviously save for the Megashift platform which is generally a targeted goal with high probability of knowing exactly what is needed for the end user. Then obviously selling the enclosure and AMPSEAL separately and in a higher-level kit too.

I could be wrong....but that is what I would like to see.
427v8

Post by 427v8 »

I like the modular approach.
Make it as modular as you can stand, I know it would be a hassle to manage each possible I/O type as a separate item. Thats up to you.
I'd be perfectly happy if I could get the Base kit and then a kit of 8 coil drivers, or 8 EGT channels or whatever.
So If I want say 4 EGTs and 4 generic analog inputs I'd have leftovers, thats understandable. I can always sell the partials or use them on another project.

Specifically;
I actually want three kits to do 3 different things in my car I'm building.

First I want a full transmission kit for the 4L60E.Everything, case connectors pigtails...
Second, for the air ride controller I also want a kit with at least 5 analog inputs, 9 high output drivers and the rest low power, aka LED drivers.
Third for the body computer kit I'd like to have 8 12v digital inputs 2-3 PWM outputs and a bunch o high power relay drivers. ( haven't figured out exactly what I want yet)

Hope this helps!
Keith
devojet

Post by devojet »

Hi Matt, I'm interested in the basic GPIO kit and Like the idea of modular kits to add the IO circuits you want. Will you be selling the Amp connector for the loom side with just the uncrimped terminals for making your own loom?

Are you also planning to sell a case that will fit both the gpio and ms2 in the one case with pre cut endplates?

Regards

Daniel.
phj420

Post by phj420 »

Matt,

Maybe you could just have all of the components available to build the individual circuits that are listed in the msextra manual, and then at the time of order the customer could just select the circuits that they will be planning to build. I know that you already have many of these components available.

I think that this project is going to be different for every one that uses it, so you won't be able to sell it in kits.

As for me, I would be using it for EGT, boost, and constant baro. I would also use some generic inputs for data logging such as oil pressure and fuel pressure. The easiest thing to do in my mind is at the time of order I would be purchasing the base model along with selecting 2 egt circuits, boost control and constant baro on the order page. I would hope that the site would calculate the total and get me all of the components needed to build the circuits.

Jon Doe on the other hand may be using it for transmission control and table switching, so he would select the base model with table switching and transmission application. He would then get all of the components that he needed for his project.

by doing it this way it may simplify the ordering process for everyone.

It would also make it so that when we change our minds or decide to add circuits, we can just select what we need on the site and get the components needed. If I want to add launch control, I would hope that I could just go to DIYautotune.com go to the gpio column and select the launch control circuit from the order page.

I hope that helps.

I will be using it more for extra inputs than as a controller for now. I would be interested in using it for abs or traction control when it becomes available. I would also like to use it to control German gas heaters for air cooled cars. My individual application will denote which circuits I need to build.
dch

Post by dch »

Matt

I think the modular way is the best route to go this will be the most flexable and cost effective approach. I would be looking for trans control with a singe case
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

Selling the specific items on an a la carte basis would be pretty tough for us to do as it's a lot of tiny single parts to keep track of. So what we've been thinking of doing for applications besides the MegaShift is to have specific mod kits like what we have for adding circuits to the MegaSquirt. We won't be able to think of everything somebody might try, but we migth have, for example, a kit that would completely populate one EGT input circuit, or maybe a 4-pack of TIP120s and their associated resistors for the PWM outputs. Exactly which circuits we'd have kits for will probably depend on whether any more applications like MegaShift pop up that have a somewhat standard bill of materials.
427v8

Post by 427v8 »

Just make a kit, any kit that I can buy. do the bare minimum and release it!
We (I) don't need npr want to wait untill everything is perfectly thought out.

I need the board with the programmed chip and any other SMDs I suppose.
But I can digikey up the little parts I need to setup the I/O.
I'd like the case

Then you can add options as you see fit as the demand warrants.

Keith, desperately wanting to get my hands dirty...
joshd

Post by joshd »

427v8 wrote:Just make a kit, any kit that I can buy. do the bare minimum and release it!
We (I) don't need npr want to wait untill everything is perfectly thought out.

I need the board with the programmed chip and any other SMDs I suppose.
But I can digikey up the little parts I need to setup the I/O.
I'd like the case

Then you can add options as you see fit as the demand warrants.

Keith, desperately wanting to get my hands dirty...
Couldn't have said it better myself....but I don't even need the case, just the board with the required SMD and programmed processor.
Poke

Post by Poke »

Hello Matt and All,

Matt, I think you may be up against what I've called GPIO/MS's HVB . . . . . High Versatility Bug! ;)

In the DIY world, high versatility is a valued feature, but it comes with a cost.

In the beginning, I would suggest packaging components for individual I/O types. From that experience you could package "popular kits".

Primarily, I want a stand-alone controller to shift the ECT that sits behind my 450hp. SBC.

Secondly, I want 8 channels for EGT.

Hope this is some help,
Bill