AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Jim Blackwood

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Oh, sorry, (I shouldn't have done that). Digital Read Out. It is the numerical gear indicator. It should be showing 0 for Park/Neutral, 9 for Reverse, and gears 1-8. It reads 0 in all positions.

The transmission shift selector switch uses switch closure to indicate the selected position. There is one switch for Drive, another for Reverse and there is one for P/N as well. These are assigned as follows:

PAD00: Drive (GPI-1) Input 1
PAD01: Reverse (GPI-2) Input 2
PAD03: Neutral/Park (EGT-3) Input 3 We could delete this one and make it the default indication.

I think the default Park input PAD00 needed to be reassigned to the Drive switch (GPI-1) and the default Drive input (PE1) has been reassigned to EGT4 and solenoid SL (TCC/Reverse). Park/Neutral uses the Neutral input. This happened because of our output reassignments, in order to get enough solenoid outputs.

Not sure exactly what the situation is with Reverse but I may have an issue there, my notes are unclear. I do know the shifter switch has contacts for the backup lights. If I tied into those contacts I could have sent 12v to the GPI-2 circuit, not a good thing. Or it might be grounding it. I will pull the jumper and check voltage at the GPI-2 pin.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Checked the reverse input. 4.75Vdc, grounds when in the reverse position. So that part is good back to the jumper header.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

It is the numerical gear indicator. It should be showing 0 for Park/Neutral, 9 for Reverse, and gears 1-8. It reads 0 in all positions.
Jim,

Is the readout this one: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/7segment.html and driven by the LED outputs?

If not, what sort of setup is it?

If it is the 7 segment display driven as in the docs, the the default is to show the current gear, which probably won't change if the engine is not running. The display does not show the manual gear lever position.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Lance,

Yes, that is the one. I built it and connected it in accordance with those instructions. Tested it with the appropriate inputs and it worked correctly. It uses the standard LED outputs.

Before I powered up the controller it would usually read 0 or 4, now it just reads 0 regardless of gear selected. I expected to see it show 1 for 1st gear with the shifter in D (engine not running but key on) or 9 when in Rev, but it is not doing that. I will look at the indicators at the bottom of the TS screen to see if I can find any indications there, and look to see what gear the TS says the transmission is in.

In related news, I checked the signals for PRND on the jumper header and got 5v/0v for all 3 inputs (AD0, AD1 and AD3) showing the correct signals for the shifter positions. (P and N use the same switch).

I guess there should be indicators in TS also showing what the LED outputs should be so I will look for those as well. If they show anything other than 0, I will look at the outputs on the jumper header. Divide and conquer I suppose.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

More info:

On Inputs 1, 2, and 3, I am showing High, Low and Low regardless of shifter position.

I added round LED indicators 1, 2, 3, and 4 between the round gages. They indicate: Off, On, On, and On regardless of shifter position. This is the correct pattern for gear selection 1.

Current Gear dial shows: 1 (the scale shows -1, 0, and 1 through 4, I didn't see how to expand that to 1-8) This is at least consistent with the LED outputs. But I'm somewhat concerned that it does not change when the shifter is moved. (Also I am not sure why the DRO shows 0, so I will re-check the LED patterns.)

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,
I'm somewhat concerned that it does not change when the shifter is moved
As I said above, the display does not show the manual gear lever (i.e. shifter) position. It displays the current gear position (which is only in effect when the engine is running, etc.)
I didn't see how to expand that to 1-8
The latest test code (and all future codes) shows up to 8 gears. You can get that here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1151&p=5859#p5851

Or you can edit any MShift INI by replacing the lines in the [GaugeConfigurations] section:

Code: Select all

Manual_gear_gauge   = manual_gear,   "Manual Gear",              "",    -1,     4,    -1,     -1,    5,    5, 0, 0
   Target_gear_gauge   = target_gear,   "Target Gear",              "",     1,     4,    -1,     -1,    5,    5, 0, 0
   Current_gear_gauge  = current_gear,  "Current Gear",             "",    -1,     4,    -1,     -1,    5,    5, 0, 0

with:

Code: Select all

Manual_gear_gauge   = manual_gear,   "Manual Gear",              "",    -1,     8,    -1,     -1,    9,    9, 0, 0
   Target_gear_gauge   = target_gear,   "Target Gear",              "",     1,     8,    -1,     -1,    9,    9, 0, 0
   Current_gear_gauge  = current_gear,  "Current Gear",             "",    -1,     8,    -1,     -1,    9,    9, 0, 0

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I had the 5202ti code, I will update it.

If I understand you correctly, the three input blocks at the bottom of the TunerStudio window for inputs 1, 2 and 3 should update to the correct indications once the engine is running? Then the Current Gear gage should show the gear the transmission is in, including -1:(Reverse) and 0:(Park/Neutral) would that be correct? If so I will disregard those indications until I fire it up.

On the LEDs, the problem is somewhere between the GPIO circuits and the DRO. I tested the DRO from the harness connector when I installed it so I suspect a signal mismatch of some sort.

I have gone through the Jumper terminal pin by pin and it looks like the only other issue there is that I ma not reading the brake light signal. (brake lights work so possibly another signal mismatch) Other than that I still have to configure and test the CAN network.

Getting closer anyway.
Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

That sounds right to me. The first thing you might do if you aren't sure about the inputs is to use the new input test mode ( http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5tune.html#ot ) to check if the code is responding appropriately to the lever inputs.

I couldn't recall off the top of my head if the indicators work with the engine off or not. The best way to check these things is with a trans stim before you hook the GPIO board up, that way you can familiarize yourself with the software and sort the setup out. So I tried this on my stim (with the latest code), and the input 1, 2, & 3 indicators in TS definitely do show the correct input states (high or low) even when the engine rpm is zero. So you need to sort that out.

Lance.
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks Lance. I hadn't seen the V5 manual yet so I have some studying to do. That will keep me busy for bit.

In the meantime as I reviewed settings and such I ran across the GPIO I/O pin assignments under the "Tools" tab and reviewed those settings as compared to this build. I found several differences but I was not able to change any of the settings there. I will note the differences:

Output 4: PT6/EGT2 - Clutch 2 solenoid SL2
Output 5: PE1/EGT4 - TCC/Reverse solenoid SL
Output 4 / Spare Output 2 (which one?): PA0/VB2 Brake 1 solenoid SL5

Lever Input 1: AD0/EGT4 is now GPI1
Lever Input 4: PE1/GPI1 is now Output 5 and EGT4
Paddle Up: PT6/VR2 is now Output 4 and EGT2
Line Pressure Sense: AD4/EGT2 is now Paddle Upshift VR2

plus
Auto Mode switch: PE0/VR4 (not currently installed)

Could this dialog be advisory? I note is says, "With standard build."
I realize I may be going over old ground yet again. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

I will learn to use the Input Test Mode. That should make the picture a little clearer.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Good news.
I now have working shifter inputs. It turns out that the input testing mode was active so it was substituting values for some of the inputs. Turned that off and the shifter switches and paddle downshift switch then gave good indications. (remember what I said about being possibly the world's worst Beta tester?)

So I think the only ones I have an issue with now are the brake light input, the Paddle Upshift input, and the LED outputs. assuming everything works with all 9 of the solenoid outputs. I have not yet tested the VSS, ISS and temperature.

PadUP could be the port assignment above?

The brake signal is probably a polarity/signal issue.
LED's are perhaps a polarity issue. More likely than not.

Jim