4L80E code

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: 4L80E code

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

The correct versions are here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html It certainly is possible that these are wrong in the source code header, I will have a look.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave, Guillaume;

My apologies - I didn't realize you were referring to the INI. It certainly was wrong there, and I have corrected the latest INI here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/GP ... _2007c.ini

There were also a few places in the web docs where this wasn't quite right, and I have fixed those too.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guys,

I have started putting a summary of the changes needed to the setup parameters for the 4L80E here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L ... l#settings

Lance.
dch

Post by dch »

Lance,

Thanks and sorry for not cerifing the location, I had a quick look at the settings and the VSS (40 teeth) is the same as the 4L60E. It's the input VSS that is 31 teeth.

Dave
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
gui67

Post by gui67 »

Lance wrote:Guillaume,

I think you may have the inputs inverted. I believe the trans should show second gear (D2) as HIGH-HIGH-HIGH when there's no pressure to close the normally open switches (a closed switch grounds the supply, so the signal is low).
NRP_4L80E.JPG
The chart is a bit confusing, because it shows 0 for 12V, and 1 for ground.

Lance.
Yes,
you are right, I should have looked on the wiring diagram, the common is ground. I did not look at it, and I thought the common would be 12V.

I corrected it, it should be OK now.
Thank you for your help.
Guillaume
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

Actually, you and Dave have my most sincere thanks! I don't know much about the 4L80E, and Dave did all of the work setting up the 4L80E docs (build guide, wiring diagrams, BOM, etc.), and you are both helping to clarify these. Without that sort of contribution, it wouldn't be possible to support new transmissions.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I had a quick look at the settings and the VSS (40 teeth) is the same as the 4L60E. It's the input VSS that is 31 teeth.
Dave,

Perfect - now I can put the input divider value in the docs too - thanks!!

Lance.
gui67

Post by gui67 »

I tarted the car yesterday with the new transmission and the controller. (still had 2.102 code)

I first checked that the ouputs are OK.
The temperature sensor indicated 45deg. I have set the unit to metric and desactivated Non metric in the project properties. the external temp was 15°C, but this is close to 45°F. how can I know which unit is used in tunerstudio. Is it possible that this is a unit error, or should I recalibrate the sensor? (after having started the engine, the gauge showed 110deg, but the true temperature was much less then 110°C, maybe 50°C)

I raised the wheels from the ground and started the engine. The wheel turn in the correct direction.
I passed 1st and second gear and saw the speed difference between these 2 speeds, but the speed on tunerstudio was certaily wrong.
number of VSS teeth is 40, rear axe ratio is 3.73, set the tire diameter to 65cm, but the speed was 30km/h with the wheels barely turning. (first gear, 1300RPM)and incraesed to 70 km/h in second. I suspect a unit error as well, but it could also be a problem with the VR sensor ans noise.

last problem is the speedometer on the car not showing any speed: it is an autometer electronic speedo, both units are set to 9943 pulses/km (16000pulses/mile).
the 2nd leg of the D7 resistor is on 12V.

I did not so much timt to find the origin of these problems, I will try to continue on tuesday afternoon. The first thing will be to upgrade to the latest code. What could I do yo find the origin of these problems?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

gui67,

The code should only remove extra pulses, not add them. So if you speedometer is reading high, there are a few things that could cause it:

- noise in the signal. If you run your VSS wires near any high voltage wiring (ignition) you may need to move the VSS wiring further away. Also, wherever possible make sure the VSS (and ISS wiring, where applicable) is done as a 'twisted pair' (just twist the wires together over their length). In some case, it might be necessary to shield the VSS/ISS wiring by enclosing them in a conductive material that is grounded at one end only.

- set-up issues. If this was mine, I would double check the values entered for the speedo.

- It isn't impossible that the speedo calculation is overflowing with your particular combination of values. If you post you MSQ I can check this. (It is unlikely, though, because the speedo gauge will usually bounce all over if the calculation overflows.)

For the temperature sensor, the first thing to do is check the sensor resistance against the standard GM values at a few temperatures. You will find the standard values here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html#temp For example, at 19C the resistance should be about 3500 Ohms (plus or minus a hundred Ohms or so).

Are you driving the vehicle speedo off the VR sensor, or off the MShift speedo output? The better way to do it is to drive it off the GPIO output, then they can't interfere with each other.

Lance.
gui67

Post by gui67 »

Lance, the speedo input is taken from the gpio output.
I will try to check with a frequencymeter if there is a signal at the output.
I will also measure the resistance of the thermisto tomorrow
I checked the settings for the speedo, they are the same as the msq on the 4l80 setup page. (see the msq)
the difference is on the units: in centimeters instead of inches. could that be the problem: in the conversion? does someone else use metric units and validates it? I could try to put everything in imperial units and see if the speed in mph is correct.