4L80E code

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: 4L80E code

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

Yes, the serial and CAN are two different things.

On my setups, I typically use a 2 position terminal block for the CAN connection (with twisted wire pairs). The terminal blocks are nice because they are a very positive connection, with little chance of loosening (and a quick tug verifies that it is still tight).

However, it is less convenient to disconnect than other connectors. Any two-wire connector should work, and the weatherpack connectors (http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml) are common, easy to connect/disconnect, and relatively weather resistant.

There has been some talk about a CAN bootloader for burning new code, but this hasn't been implemented yet.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
gui67

Post by gui67 »

I tried to make the first setups in Tunerstudio:
set the correct parameters for the transmission, but I have dome questions:

In the documentation, The input switches A, B and C are on pin 26, 6 and 25

In tunerstudio, with ini 1100 input1 is pin5, input2 is pin25 and input 3 has no pin n°.
Is it normal?
Is there az modification to do somewhere to change the inouts or is it an error in the description?
So I also tried code 2007, is is completely different (one window for each gear and not for each input), there is no more pin n° associated with the different inputs.

Would someone have a working .msq file for the 4l80e transmission? The one I found one the forum from Lance has different gear ratios, so I guess it is for a 4l60e?
Guillaume
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

The circuits didn't change, but errors in the old documentation was corrected for 2.xxx code. The correct (hopefully!) pins are here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html

Dave is working on the 4L80E setup. I have been putting the info up in these links:
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L80E/4L80e.html
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L80.html
http://www.megamanual.com/4L80Ebom.htm

But there isn't an MSQ yet (I know Dave is working on this, perhaps he will post one).

BTW, the gear ratios are:
1 - 2.48
2 - 1.48
3 - 1.00
4 - 0.75
R - 2.07
(I will add these to the docs.)

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
gui67

Post by gui67 »

Lance,

the link you gave is for the 4l60e.

I used the 3 links below to undertand the wiring and for build instructions, I hope there are no mistakes.

here is how I setup Tunerstudio concerning the gears and the inputs/outputs:(use the same for Park and Neutral) (click on the link if the picture does not display fully)
http://g.scheidt.free.fr/4l80/4l80e_conf.jpg
I hope it will be usefull for someone.
If you need any infos on the transmission about hydraulic, I have the Hydramatic Principles of Operation
Guillaume
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

Yes, the first link is for the 4L60E, but the inputs and output pins are the same for *all* applications. The only changes to the functions are made in the software setup (things like 3 digital switches, 4 digital switches, varying voltage inputs, etc.) and possibly to some of the assembly procedures for the circuits.

For the 4L80E, the input and output pins and circuits should be very similar, except that the 4L80E might have somewhat different settings for high and low on the inputs and on and off on the outputs.

Thanks for posting the configuration info, it is very helpful.

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

Do you mind if I link to that image for the 4L80E docs?

Lance.
gui67

Post by gui67 »

No problem,

I only hope everything is correct, please verify it before using it.
Guillaume
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

I will have a look, and I am sure Dave will too. Many thanks!

Lance.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

I think you may have the inputs inverted. I believe the trans should show second gear (D2) as HIGH-HIGH-HIGH when there's no pressure to close the normally open switches (a closed switch grounds the supply, so the signal is low).
NRP_4L80E.JPG
NRP_4L80E.JPG (37.44 KiB) Viewed 9867 times
The chart is a bit confusing, because it shows 0 for 12V, and 1 for ground.

Lance.
dch

Post by dch »

Lance,

I think this is part of what Guillaume was asking about, in the Manual lever type window the header for Input 1 is PAD00/GPI1/Amp25 should be PAD00/EGT4/Amp26.
Input2 is header-ed as PAD03/EGT3/Amp25, this should be for Input 3 correct and Input2 should be PAD01/GPI2/Amp6. This is still in the latest code

Guillaume,
The 4L60 and 4L80 have the same input pattern and the HIGH &LOW it was a little confusing at first but Lance has the correct settings in the 4L80E wirring page. the only thing that will change is SOL B for the output.
FYI if you didn't already know your Input VSS teeth count is 31, I don't have a MSQ that I would release right now as I have not tested it in my ride to verify it.

Dave
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image