AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Jim Blackwood

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Nothing to worry about here Lance, I hope you feel better soon. Certainly don't push on my account. I'm having no luck finding a replacement housing for my indicator and it looks like it will take a thorough housecleaning to find the one I know is here somewhere. Even then it will take days before I can build the new circuit and possibly even weeks. So relax, recover, and then when you feel better this can take it's reasonable place in the que. I have other tasks to keep me busy in the meantime.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I've made some progress on the DRO. Bought a new switch to get the housing and mounted the segment display and a socket for the driver through the back of the housing and two pieces of generic proto PCB, and mounted 1/8 watt 1.5K ohm resistors on the back side for the segments. The pull-up resistors are on the GPIO board, no need to duplicate them here. Photos below.

But I've run into a bit of a snag, the driver for the circuit is a HEF4511B. I didn't have one but I did have some CD4511BE which I had substituted in the original DRO and got it to display, but I think this was the source of my original problem. I suspect there are some polarity mismatches with that driver, but it's been so long since I worked with IC chips regularly (about 40 years and maybe more) that I'm having trouble confirming that this is the problem.

So the simple solution is to just plug in a HEF4511B, right? That's what I thought too. Imagine my surprise to find that Digi-Key doesn't carry them. Anyone know of a good source? (Or a good matching substitute like the one they came up with for the 921 ignition driver?)

(The small switch is the calibrate switch for my wideband O2 sensor, I'm using the decimal point in the display for the wideband O2 LED indicator. Oh, and the reason only one segment is lit up is because I probed the back of the display to show that the display works.)

Thanks for any help,

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (91.6 KiB) Viewed 11930 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (102.28 KiB) Viewed 11930 times
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

As so often happens on this stuff, I have answered my own question, in this case by spending $5 for the now nearly unavailable HEF4511 and actual testing. So the results:

There appears to be no particularly significant difference between the HEF4511BP and the CD4511BE. I was able to substitute one for the other and the circuit seems to work exactly the same with either one.

I found a ground connection which had been miswired, corrected that and it seems to work fine on the bench. More testing to follow. On the truth chart, "on" means grounded, and "off" means at 5v ref.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Good news.
Early in-car testing indicates that the new digital display works as expected. This leaves only two things left to do:

1) establish CAN bus communications.
2) Final software revisions

Until the software changes are made any time power is applied I risk burning up the off-board driver and diode. They got very hot just in the few seconds it took me to verify a "0" readout from the DRO.

So, while I can look at the offline settings for the CAN bus, I really can't do much with them yet.

Lance, if you can find time to look at this it would be really helpful at this stage. If not, I understand and I will try to figure out myself how to switch that input and output, and how to generate a trigger on the output. But I'm not a programmer by any stretch and likely to do more harm than good.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

I am moving at the moment, so my test bench and my compiling computer is packed away. Once I am established in the new house and have the computer and bench back in operation, I will look at this (likely a few weeks).
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

OK, I will see what I can do in the meantime. Any suggestions about where I should look for the reassignment of PT6 and AD4? My son Matt does some programming so he can help me with syntax.

If I can get that to work I'll look for a way to output a pulse on PT6.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I may be slow but I can learn.
No CodeWarrier $$$oftware and unreleased code doesn't look like the sort of thing that'll be encouraging me to try making changes, so I guess I'll just wait. Maybe play around with some microsquirt code in the meantime just for the fun of it. What the heck, I still have some intercooler and A/C plumbing to finish too, it'd be nice to have all that working for the first drive I suppose. As many times as I've pushed back my timeline so far, one more should hardly be a blip, right?

So just to recap so it's not necessary to read back through, here's what I think I need:

1) PT6 and AD4 ports switched. AD4 is the input for Paddle Upshift from VR2. PT6 drives solenoid SR:Shift Trigger through EGT2 and an off board driver. If AD4 could work as an output and PT6 could work as an input I suppose maybe I could try that, but I think we already looked at it.

2) Configurable trigger pulse controls for PT6 to set delay and pulse width. I think that should be enough to start testing.

BUT. The existence of a shift trigger suggests that the shifting logic may require the big solenoids to be preset to the newly selected gear just prior to triggering the shift. I do not know if this logic is shared with any of the smaller Aisin gearboxes, however a GM press release mentions a "Shift Trigger" in connection with the new GM 8 speed.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

I could send you the current release code project, but it won't compile on the freeware compiler (it is above the 32K limit). You would have to strip out some things you aren't using (which could be trickier than it sounds).
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Understood. (and better late than never)

I'd better just contain my impatience and wait. There are things I am good at but what you do is not one of them, and even were I to achieve a passing proficiency it would be a temporary victory which I would not retain for long. This I know.

I also know what it means to move house. And I know there is more to this fix than just what lies on the surface.

But, if you could find the opportunity to just disable the PT6 port temporarily so it won't burn up the driver, that would let me get on with sorting out the CAN communications. I'm willing to take baby steps. (I would just remove the jumper, but that particular one is hard wired and under silicone. Still, if it will be awhile before you could get to it, I could do that, and I suspect I should.)

In any event, good luck with the moving. Undoubtedly there will be things that simply disappear, never to be found again. This seems to be a rite of passage when moving house. Hopefully they will be relatively unimportant things. We lost every bit of the silverware on one move. That wasn't fun.

It's been a long and arduous project. I've come at last to the stage where it is becoming increasingly difficult to muster the motivation to work on it at all. I understand this stage, there have been projects in the past I've given up on so it isn't a surprise. But I'm doggedly determined to see this through, and I have lots of reasons to do so. It's not a fun point to be at and my persistence doesn't really make it any better. But I do need help to get beyond here. I've always prided myself on self-sufficiency and it chafes to hit the limits of my own abilities. Humility is a difficult thing to have imposed upon us. But, as in other things that come with age I suppose it must be learned. Best of luck working through your own personal morass. There IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

While I'm waiting, I've been working on plumbing on the car. Replaced the brake lines with NiCop lines, plumbed the intercooler liquid side, re-routed and upsized the fuel lines, mounted a Bosch 44 clone fuel pump, and am waiting on a custom 1/2" hose to install one of Holley's new tank pick-up mats in the fuel tank. Hope to have the hoset next week. Also hooked up a charcoal canister to the fuel tank vent to keep fumes out of the garage.

So I guess if I had the revised code today I wouldn't be able to load it and test immediately, but soon, and the good news is that I'll be able to run it hard as soon as tuning demands/allows it.

I am going to keep plugging away at the small details. I think when the code is ready to test I will be able to load it and check it out. But until that happens I will just keep on with other upgrades that are in the works and let it sit in the garage as long as I have to. If I get done with everything else, I've got the MS-III parts in a box waiting on me. Plus air conditioning lines and designing an evaporator box which may involve a dashboard re-design. If I get done with all of that I can always go back to bodywork, straighten out a warp induced by a poor rocker repair and prep the car for it's next (and hopefully final) paint re-spray. I'd sort of planned to do that stuff over the next few winters, but hey, if the car can't be driven, might as well work on it right?

Marty, I see you had a post a little less than a month ago. Anything new on your Supra? Are we still close enough to the same on our configurations that the code changes Barney makes will work for you too?

Jim