4r70w new install, shfting problems

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Brittain G

4r70w new install, shfting problems

Post by Brittain G »

I just got my car moving under it's own power and could use a little help. I am new to the world of tuning and still making sense of the logs. I plan on getting a wide band O2 sensor so right now just need some advice on my transmission. Here is what I'm running.

1968 mercury cyclone with 302
GM TBI 55# inj, with Ls2 coil packs
MS2extra comms 342a2
4r70w with MSgpio running MShift 5.201

It will shift through the gears, however it holds the shifts way to long and slips/hunts gears when your up near 4th. The CAN-Load is running about 10kpa lower than what the ms2 reads. I just don't have enough experience to know if I'm missing something. I will attach a log and the tune for both controllers. Thank you in advance for your help.
2016-07-03_13.15.04.msl
Log
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 576 times
2016-07-03_11.23.20.msq
MS2 engine tune
(112.26 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
2016-07-03_13.52.09.msq
MSgpio tune
(61.84 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Bernard Fife

Re: 4r70w new install, shfting problems

Post by Bernard Fife »

If this was mine, I would start by reviewing the parameters here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5tune.html#gh
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Brittain G

Post by Brittain G »

Thank you, that did help. I ran a couple more logs and my speed reading are inconsistent. Going to review my VSS circuit and make sure that is working as it should.
Brittain G

Post by Brittain G »

Went through VSS and made sure I had no noise and it looks like it is working as it should. Does anybody have a 4r70w base tune working on the 5.2 code? I will sit down with the manual again this afternoon but after a few times through it just starts looking like stereo instructions. :? I have a degree in electronics but it does not seem to be helping. I'm still a bit lost on what changes do what and how far to change setting to get a reaction. A working tune to compare against would help a lot.
Brittain G

Post by Brittain G »

So... I have it shifting fairly well. Still needs a little tuning. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and TCC work like they should. When it shifts ti 4th the tcc is not unlocking and 4th is neutraling out. I have pulled the valve body and checked the usual suspects. Mechanically it seams to be all there. I have the tcc set to unlock during upshift but that is not happening. I switched it to stay locked up and the behavior changed quite a bit. It would not lock up in third, it would shift to 4th then lock up and slip. Thought not quite as badly. Which leads me to believe I have a setting wrong somewhere. Wondering what direction I should start looking.

Thank you.
2016-08-31_21.12.30.msq
tune
(61.88 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
2016-08-30_17.02.13.msl
log
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 567 times