ford 6R80

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
razzys wagon

ford 6R80

Post by razzys wagon »

has anyone attempted one of the new ford 6R80s yet? I may be putting one in my fox mustang(ms3x controlled) and as soon as I find a bell or adapter plate (or fabricate said item) since my Lentech strip termy has bitten the dust again.....my car is heavy and the 6R80 has been proven several times in the new coyote cars at my weight and power level......
Thor_patrol

Re: ford 6R80

Post by Thor_patrol »

Hi there,

I'm about to start on a 6r80 transmission very shortly. I've already got the Trans installed and adapted to my engine, fitted an exedy frictions kit and am using a tci bolt together torque converter. I'm leaving the transmission until last as i think it will be a bit of a challenge. I've done a fair amount of research on the trans and it is certainly possible from what i can see. The 6r80 I've used is from a Ford territory diesel because they came with an external control unit instead of the internal mechatronic unit which i believe is in most 6r80 transmissions.

Dave
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Hi Dave, thanks for posting. I had all but given up!!!! Sorry it's been so long as I didn't get a notification....have you got a component list for the 6r80 layout by chance?

Thanks,
Mark
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Hi Mark,

I'll have to look over what I did exactly, but I'll get it up as soon as I have time. I originally built mine for a 4l80 and only had to change minimal things to suit the 6r80. I'll give you all the pwm settings and what outputs etc. That I used.

Cheers,

Dave
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Good deal!! I may see if I can get my hands on a control unit like you have, I have a friend in Melbourne, AU, Paul Cibotto, CVE Performance, I may see if he can locate one for me....but yes, please do post up your changes, thanks for you help in advance!!
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Do all the 6r80 have the external tcu in the states? It would certainly be possible to change it out, the whole leadframe thing that has the solenoids, temp sensor and speed sensors looks identical, it just hasn't got the inbuilt computer in it and the output plug has more pins. I had the original ford lead that attached to the Trans and I ordered a molex plug and pins which was the same as the tcu unit that would have been on the Trans. I have a spare lead and can send you a picture and the part numbers of the plug I ordered. I got it from mouser from their website.

I'm also in Melbourne so if you need anything to give to your mate it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Dave
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Nice, yes, I think all are internal here. You think they would have the plug for the internal style tcu? In your research, were the control properties the same? Like pwm or were the internal one run a different way? I'll be hitting the dealership tomorrow for information.
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

wrong, they are not, nothing but solenoids and the usual inside on the VB.
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Haven't forgotten about this, will get all the info up soon
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

im on the same schedule....lol