Smoked D3

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
1991blazer

Smoked D3

Post by 1991blazer »

So I have been running my system for about a year now but still having some VSS issues.

Took out the board and changed a capacitor on my VSS circuit and then hooked it up to my TranStim and D3 got real hot and started smoking. I checked my power supply and it was giving 16.8 volts at the time, been fine in the past but did not check it before using it this time. Got a different one that runs exactly at 12v but MS is dead. Any ideas on if the high voltage did that and what can I do to get it back up? This is the surface mount diode near the upper left corner.

Thanks.
Bernard Fife

Re: Smoked D3

Post by Bernard Fife »

1991blazer,

Anything near 17 Volts is a potential problem, so that would certainly be my first guess as to a culprit. The GPIO schematics are here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/gpiohw.htm. If this is a recent production board, then D3 is a 'safety valve' Zener diode on the power supply, and keep it from rising over 22 Volts (nominally +/- 10%) for brief spikes. Longer exposure to excessive voltage will fry this diode (but should protect components 'downstream'). D3 is the equivalent of the 22V D12 Zener diode on the V3 main board (http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pcb.htm) or D3 on a microsquirt PCB.

I have never actually fried a D3 diode, but it certainly sounds likely that the input voltage took yours out. You can run a GPIO board without D3 but ONLY if you are absolutely sure the Vref voltage will ever climb above about 15 volts (I wouldn't be tempted to try this unless I had the board on a regulated power supply with a current limiting device on my bench).

Last time I checked, the production part for this item is Diodes Inc. number SMAZ22-13 (http://www.oemsec.com/product-detail/SM ... 43782.html). It's not terribly small for soldering with an iron and a light touch.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
1991blazer

Post by 1991blazer »

That is what I thought. Replaced and seems to work fine. Thanks.

On a side note, looks like I got my VSS signal to even out on my 4L80E by adding a .04uf capacitor onto the signal coming in. Was having all kinds of problems and seems to have worked. Had a .07 uf on there and it fixed the low speed erratic behavior but started a very unstable speed at exactly 65 mph.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

1991blazer,

I'm glad you are up and running again!

That's very good to know about the VSS signal. Thanks for sharing that. I will add it to the docs.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw