changing load vs speed tables to tps vs load?

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
zen

changing load vs speed tables to tps vs load?

Post by zen »

i dont like the way the gears change on load vs speed tables..i am after a "true" kick down, but able to set it up to run nice tall gears for most of the time on table 1 ..i have LOTS of torque, so up changing into 2 at 10mph is fine and being in 3 at 25mph is good..i dont want it to drop a gear without a positive input from me...ie booting it!
i have alot of town driving and have table 2 on column stalk for more aggresive driving..but with load vs speed even with load hsterisis and speed hys. set high it down shifts too easy..i have a lary cam, minimal vac, and its cruising at atmospheric,quick dab of throttle and running 8psi..

SO, manual says i can run TPS vs speed, and i would like to give that ago and see what happens...BUT HOW?? cant seem to find anyway of changing gearshift tables to change from load to TPS!
am thinking its because i am running speed density (boosted, nitros v8) and not alpha n on the MS2?? am i right or is there a way to change gear shift table load to TPS??

thanks simon.
Bernard Fife

Re: changing load vs speed tables to tps vs load?

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

Assuming you have a CANbus connection to your ECU, see "CANbus Load Variable" here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V41tune.html#oa

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
zen

Post by zen »

hi Lance

thanks for reply, yes using canbus..

found that in manual,thanks, but UNLESS it has to be done online (connected to ecu's and not infront of telly)??? i can not find GEARTABLE MAP..PCTABLE MAP etc under project-project properties..there is just a few settings, ie celcuis/farenheight etc..
i have looked and looked..

one other thing , cannot setup temp sender (under coolent in tuner studio)..thats online!.it fails to accept my inputs and says failed to write to ecu.there appears to be no calibrate lock/unlock fuction..(unlike ms2 ecu has)..so at moment no trans temp input..any ideas?

simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

If you are connected directly to the gpio board, it should be under Project Properties -> Settings. If you re connected to a engine ECU, then to the gpio/MShift over the CANbus, these settings will be set under the approprite CAN device's configuration menu. What MShiftcode version are you using?

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
zen

Post by zen »

Hi Lance..

I am having major grief now trying to sort this..

firmware is 4139..

now..back to changing tables to tps..I can not find info required ie
"Lance" Simon,

If you are connected directly to the gpio board, it should be under Project Properties -> Settings. If you re connected to a engine ECU, then to the gpio/MShift over the CANbus, these settings will be set under the approprite CAN device's configuration menu. .
IT IS via canbus..canbus is working...PLEASE an idiots guide to this..i have looked everywhere..i can set it to tps for gearshifts, but it stays as load as i cannot find GEARTABLE MAP..PCTABLE MAP setting sanywhere..and boy have i looked!!

To make clear..in canbus configeration there is nothing to set GEARTABLE map to tps ENABLE..just to set as use tps for gearchange..BUT that makes no change to tables, they stay as load and work as load.

it is hurting my head now, alot..i understand how it all works.(ie the electronics..i built the gpio easy like,, but not programming. i can build a supercharged nitros engine with my eyes closed, but as to programming..well thats another story..

SO I CAN GO TO canbus configeration and set gaerchange table to tps..but THERE IS NOWHERE i can find to enable tps in GEARTABLE MAP..etc..

please what wtf am i doing wrong...???????????????????/

ALSO importantly..i can not enable the trans temp sender.it just stays at 82.2c..if i go into TOOLS..CALIBRATE THERMISTER TABLE..(CAN1)..and set it up and hit wrtie to crontroller it states" failed to write flash locked" (or words to that effect)
if i then unlock calibrations (but in ms2 bit of tunerstudio) and write settings in TOOLS..CALIBRATE THERMISTER TABLE..(CAN1)..it changes the coolent sensor settings for ms2 (engine temp) and not for trans temp..thus upsetting (understatement) ms2 engine settings!

please Lance...this at the moment is my daily drive (as clutch feel outa my daily drive, and at $1000 for a new one its having to wait) and it needs to be right, which at the moment it is not..so waiting on your reply.....

thanks (i mean that) Simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

THERE IS NOWHERE i can find to enable tps
Simon,

Can you see "Tools' on the main menu in TunerStudio? If you can't see that, it may have scrolled off the screen if the ECU menu is very wide, and then you need to adjust the size, or you may need to change some appearance options in TunerStudio. Once you can see the Tools menu item, click on Tools.

A menu will drop down. One of the items will be 'CAN Configuration'. Click on that. A dialogue will open, and the fourth parameter down will be"CANbus Load Variable'.
TS2.JPG
TS2.JPG (55.21 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
You will have four options: "MAP", "TPS", "TPS for Line Pressure Table/MAP for Gear Tables", "MAP for Line Pressure Table/TPS for Gear Tables". Click on TPS if that is what you prefer. The MShift code will then use TPS instead of MAP for LOAD in all calculations. 'Burn' the value (click the Burn button) to save it to the controller. You might want to save an MSQ at this time to.

All GEARTABLE_MAP and PCTABLE_MAP do is change the displayed units on the tables in TunerStudio, these don't affect the MShift code at all. It can be confucing if the units are incorrect, though, so you should set this under: 'File -> Project -> Project Properties -> CAN Devices' and then clicking on the MShift controller you added early (see: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/cpt.html). Near the bottom of the dialogue will be a scoll box with all the setting, two of which are GEARTABLE_MAP and PCTABLE_MAP. Change these to match your preferences.
TS1.JPG
TS1.JPG (47.04 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
Lance.
zen

Post by zen »

hello Lance..

thank for reply...ok i was not clicking on my contoller to open the options menu (2nd pic)..dooh..!

so i will try this out first thing in the morning..

any thoughts on the trans temp calibration??

regards simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Simon,

I am not sure about the temp calibration issue, it may have more to do with TS than MShift. As a work-around, you can connect the serial cable directly to the GPIO, burn the new temperature calibration to MShift, then switch the serial cable back to the engine ECU. The calibration will be retained as long as you don't load new code (in which case you will need to repeat this process).

Lance.
zen

Post by zen »

HI Lance

gearbox is now working on TPS vs Speed.(and table is in tps vs speed).thanks for your help..its soo much better!!

A..however in SHIFT factors SHIFT load is still in LOAD...is there anyway one can alter this to allow for TPS??????or do i use it another way?

B...AND.....is there anyway one can devise a means of a kick down facilty in the lines of acceration wizard in MS?..ie if one alters tps rapidly, but not nessary as per the table..lets say table says drop a gear at 80% WOT tps, but you want rapid acceration from 40% but back of at 70% it will kick down??
I ask as in second or third if i apply 80% (for example) with over 450hp available i will be going a wee bit faster than i want..but as it is i have no means of asking for a drop in gear other than setting gearchange down at say 60% TPS it is an issue...reason being it does not allow me to gradually accerate though the gears..(i have mucho power and torque and the car will happily accerarate in 3rd (say) from 30mph to 100+, but will drop gear when i dont need it to)
OBVIOUSLY all above is in full auto mode..but thats what i use % of time here in traffic ridden London

NOT sure if i am making sense here, but a kick down facilty directly related to VARATION in TPS CHAMGE would be lovely!!

there are also GPIO crashindg issues, but see other post please..

regards Simon
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

is there anyway one can alter this to allow for TPS??????or do i use it another way?
Simon,

Load refers to whatever variable you have chosen to represent the load on the engine, this can be ether MAP (kPA) or TPS (%). When you set the CANbus load to TPS, all of the load-based shift factors will then refer to TPS% (since the TPS is used for load).

Lance.