4L80E code

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: 4L80E code

Post by Bernard Fife »

STDog,

Some of the testing results are being exchanged by email, some by PM, and some are scattered around this forum. I respond to emails fastest, and beta testers seem to be using that route. However, the best single place to follow what's going on is in the code release thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20&start=0 - as code releases are introduced to solve problems found in beta testing - either flaws in the code or the need for new functions.

There is not much to report from the beta testing, other than what is in the forums - a few people are working on vehicles, a few on the test bench, and some people are still waiting for their test boards/parts to arrive.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
6bt4l80e

Post by 6bt4l80e »

Hey, The 93 on down force motor was operated at 292.5 hz, and was pulsed every 10 seconds for self cleaning. 94 on up uses a new force motor that as you stated operates at 614hz as well as routes the oil differently requiring no cleaning pulses at all. The new arganment allows better pressure stability. You probably already know this but just want to try and help any way I can to help.

Tim
dch

Post by dch »

Here are some wiring schematic for reference to have on hand
Image Image
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

dch,

Very nice - thanks for doing this!

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
6bt4l80e

Post by 6bt4l80e »

Hello to all. I am just wondering has anyone recently gotten a GPIO board, and if so has anyone built one to shift a 4L80e trans? Maybe I am missing something all together, or maybe I am just ignorant and should not even be fooling with this stuff, but how do I determine what electrical components I need? I am only able to open the Beta Asseble guide, maybe this is OK? also I believe I may not need some of the components listed to only control the trans? I want to learn more about this stuff and thought I had enough of a foundation to do so but today when I got a board I have to second guess myself. Please help.

Thanks,

Tim
dch

Post by dch »

This is the link for the 4l60 build http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/assembly.html . I just ordered my GPIO to day , I just ordered the http://www.megamanual.com/pgpbom.htm for the 4l60 and adjust from there you will need 2 Q13, 2 Q14 for the ISS there is enough extras to build the rest of the ISS

Here is the info for the ISS
- input shaft sensor (ISS) code on pin PT5/circuit VR3/Ampseal 14 for transmissions like the 4L80E, which I know a number of people have been waiting for. This can be used instead as an engine tach input if CAN isn't used. This appears to work as expected on the bench for the ISS, but I need to test much more. I haven't tested the engine rpm (non-CAN) at all yet but will do that soon. The ISS/non-CAN tach setting are in the menu under 'General Setup/non-CAN Tach Setup'. The user can set the pulses per revolution, signal trigger edge, and the input mask percentage after enabling either the ISS or tach input.
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
6bt4l80e

Post by 6bt4l80e »

DCH,

Hey thanks for the help, oh yea and happy New Year! You have really done your homework. For some reason I did not see the BOM, how did you know where that was? That BOM is a great help. I am starting to figure this out now. Last night I came up with a list of circuits I thought would need, but was still unclear on the exact components. For some reason I was not able to open the Assembly guide for the current board, only for the BETA. but the BETA assembly guide gave me a good idea as to what dirrection I needed to go. The set up I have is a 4l80e behind a 5.9 cummins. It originally had the JET trans TCM, it no longer works.... It used a 4 pulse per revolution crankshaft speed sensor i had to install. It has a MAG pickup coil and there are 4 small magnets glued to the flywheel of the engine. So I dont think I will have to use the input turbin shaft speed sensor. For now this is what I am thinking..... I must use 1 of the PWM circuits for the pressure control sol, 3 of the GPO, for the A and B solenoid and the TCC, 3 of the VR circuits, one for engine RPM, Turbin shaft input speed, and the output shaft speed, and one of the GPI for the TPS. Then that leaves the PSM, it has 4 NO switches? Shall I use them all? What are your plans? Am I on the correct track you think?
STDog

Post by STDog »

6bt4l80e wrote: For some reason I did not see the BOM, how did you know where that was? That BOM is a great help. I am starting to figure this out now.
It's linked at the end of the first paragraph on the build instructions.

Both have been linked from other posts in this forum.
dch

Post by dch »

Just got my GPIO today looks great and the rest of my parts should be here tomorrow. I will do a build guide for the 4l80E, this will take a little time and if there are any changes I will input them. Thanks Dave
dch

Post by dch »

Got the GPIO built this weekend and was fairly simple, I will try to have a build guide completed buy this weekend provided I can get my desk top working. I had a software problem and had to dump every thing, lots of fun :? .