hard downshifts when stopping

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
shaodome

hard downshifts when stopping

Post by shaodome »

So this might be a stupid question, but that has YET to stop me....

When slowing down the car hits some pretty hard downshifts. What is the best way to prevent that type of behavior? Load hysteresis?
Bernard Fife

Re: hard downshifts when stopping

Post by Bernard Fife »

shaodome,

Hard shifts are the result of high line pressures or downshifting too early. When you are slowing down, the load should be very low (near the bottom of both the line pressure and shift table). So if this was mine, I would experiment with:

- lowering the line pressure at the lowest loads and particularly at the speeds where the shifts occur,
- lowering the shift speeds at the lowest loads by moving all the entries in the bottom row (or two) of the shift table a cell to the left (or maybe two or more to the left, depending on your configuration).

That should help. If it does, then you can experiment to find the best settings for the way you like it to drive. You *may* have to change the load bins to get them so that the cells in the bottom row are in effect in the load range where you are downshifting.

This won't affect the power on upshifts because they rely of the higher load entries nearer the top of the tables.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
shaodome

Re: hard downshifts when stopping

Post by shaodome »

Used both of your suggestions. All good now. Thanks for the fast responses as always Lance!