GM 6L80e

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
prolepsis

GM 6L80e

Post by prolepsis »

Hello there and apologies first if this topic has been covered but I've searched and not found anything.

As you can guess from the title, I'm interested in the GM 6L80e six speed auto transmission. I've done a little reading but I haven't yet found anything conclusive. It would appear, though, that this transmission has a controller (TCM) built in, which presumably just receives the appropriate engine and vehicle sensor signals, and performs the control functions according to its program. Is that not what the MegaShift is designed to do? Can anyone confirm that this is the case for the 6L80e? Or what is the case? I'd really like to know if this transmission is a realistic possibility to use in a retrofit.

Can the MegaShift be used to control a 6L80e? Have there been any successful implementations? If the 6L80e does in fact have an on-board PCM, then could the MegaShift be used to provide the appropriate data signals to it?

Thanks,
Nicholas
gurov

Re: GM 6L80e

Post by gurov »

you should read this and answer the questions that are in that page: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/newtrans.html

also, check out my 5l40e thread below, I am quite successfully running megashift on a gm 5l40e ( speed, in an awd bmw)

good luck.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

pro,

Yes, from what I understand the 6L80E has a built-in controller. To use megashift, you would have to remove that controller and connect directly to the appropriate solenoids. There is no easy way for megashift to fake the required signals, it is not designed for that purpose.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
prolepsis

Post by prolepsis »

Thanks Lance and Gurov.

I can't find much info on 6L80e that would help me to implement it on MS and I don't have the time and resources to start from scratch. At least I can now eliminate the 6L80e from my options and find something more suitable. If only the 5L40/50 was stronger ...

Rgds, N