Allison 1000

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
383gmc4x4

Allison 1000

Post by 383gmc4x4 »

I am interested in controlling an Allison 1000 with the MegaShift controller. I have done a little research into this transmission, and so far it seems that the current firmware might not support it. From what I have read so far, it looks like the newer Allison's have three solenoids to control line pressure, a main line pressure solenoid, an on coming shift pressure solenoid, and an off going shift pressure solenoid. They have 3 shift solenoids which seems pretty normal for a 5-8 speed auto, and finally a TCC solenoid. Thats a grand total of 7 solenoids on the '04 and newer Allison's. The '03 and older Allison's lack the main line pressure solenoid. '05 and earlier A1000's and 5 speeds, '06 and newer are 6 speeds. All versions have to be shifted sequentially. After looking breifly at the MegaShift application in TunerStudio, it doesn't appear that the Megashift is setup to control three line pressure solenoids. Can anyone confirm this, and if so is it something that could be easily added?
Bernard Fife

Re: Allison 1000

Post by Bernard Fife »

It depends on how the additional line pressure solenoids operate. Are they pulse-width-modulated? Do they run at a constant duty cycle when on? Or are they varied in response to some other parameter? If so, what is the logic used to control the solenoids (what gears, speeds, etc., and what PWM duty cycle under given conditions).

The GPIO board has 8 high current solenoid drivers (and 4 more low current drivers that could be connected to high current drivers), so that isn't a limiting factor. Sequential shift is already in the code, of course.

There is more on the info needed here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/newtrans.html

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
383gmc4x4

Re: Allison 1000

Post by 383gmc4x4 »

Lance

The three pressure solenoids are PWM at 1kHz. The TCC is PWM at 100Hz. The three shift solenoids are discrete on/off. I have yet to verify these myself. Most of the info I have found so far is from this site: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthrea ... ide-thread They have done a very good job finding info about the Allison transmissions. From what I have seen so far, it looks like the on going/off going pressure solenoids could possibly be controlled together with the same output, and control the main line pressure solenoid seperately. My dad has an '08 Chevy truck with an A1000 trans in it, so I will try to borrow it sometime to verify its operation. I will try to get solenoid impedance, frequency, duty cycle, and see if I can figure out how the three pressure solenoids are operating.