AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by Bernard Fife »

Something that I did notice, and maybe it just has to do with definitions, is under Hardware/Transmission Type, no listing for the AA80E. Don't know if that is important.
Jim,

We don't have the settings and build guide for an AA80E yet (since you are the first to do one). Once we have a 'known good' set of parameters (and the matching circuit assignments and build instructions) we can add the AA80E to the menu so that the basic settings for that trans can be selected without having to go through them all one at a time.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

I sort of suspected it might be something like that but it was just a guess. Thanks for the clarification. I'll post again as soon as I have something worth mentioning.

Just to make a note on the build instructions, I think now that we have (hopefully) nailed down the port assignments it should be possible to come up with a cleaner arrangement on the circuit assignments in terms of the jumpers. 7 jumpers is a bit unwieldy when you go to connect them up, but since I'd already built the circuits and done the external wiring that was really the only sensible way to proceed. I think we could do better if we look at the circuits directly across from those port pins, though I haven't looked at it yet. Best would be to have all small block jumpers but I don't see that happening. Still, if we could eliminate one or two pairs it'd help. I'll try to look at that eventually.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

JIm,

I have put updated 5.202tii code/ini here: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=5851#p5851

That code fixes an issue in which the trans would 'upshift' from 5th to 2nd instead of to 6th (due to a bit-shift problem in the compiler). I wanted to let you know asap since you are lucky enough to have more than 5 forward gears and this will obviously affect you.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks Lance,
I hope you don't mind me putting off loading it until tomorrow, it's quite cold out today. But I will keep working on the TS configuration.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim,

No hurry at all. I just wanted to warn you that there was a 'known issue' with the code I posted above, and that there was a fix available. If you don't use it for months that is fine with me.
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Here is a link to the thread where we discussed port assignments for this transmission:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1157

I've been working on the shift output patterns. So far so good.
I have the patterns entered.
I have calculated the PWM period as 1 divided by 350Hz to give 28.57 milliseconds.
Please advise if this is in error.
Otherwise I have left all of the default settings for the spare ports.
For Spare Port Function, I have set them as we defined, with one exception, which I wanted to ask you about:

For Spare Port 4, I selected "Selective Clutch" as the function. I may have it wrong, but this is the shift trigger and it looked like that function might allow the controller to output a pulse, which I think is what is needed. Some guesswork going on here.

Anyway that's where I am now. I'm attaching the .msq file, if you notice anything you think I should change please let me know.

Jim
Attachments
2016-02-16_17.02.46.msq
(61.72 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

I have calculated the PWM period as 1 divided by 350Hz to give 28.57 milliseconds. Please advise if this is in error.
Jim,

I think you will find it is 2.857 milliseconds.
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Of course. A bit out of practice, thanks. I will make the correction.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Guess the big question now is: Are we ready to test?

I've installed the 5202 code, updated the gear patterns and the only thing I've noticed is that the DRO doesn't change when I move the shifter between PRND. Should it?

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

DRO doesn't change when I move the shifter between PRND. Should it?
Jim,

Possibly, what is a DRO?