CAN bus 5101

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
blueblazer

CAN bus 5101

Post by blueblazer »

So... Trying to connect MS3x to GPIO board via CAN. Seems the GPIO_MShift_5101.ini file needs some alternate signature to work as the referenced firmward file when setting up the CAN in MS3x. This is what I understand from the MSExtra forum where they helped me trace my problem to that. Maybe that file is already out there and I failed to find it or maybe I'm supposed to alter it myself. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Bernard Fife

Re: CAN bus 5101

Post by Bernard Fife »

blueblazer,

This appears to be a TS error. I sometimes get this error (or something very similar), but I ignore the error and things work out okay after a reset.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
blueblazer

Post by blueblazer »

I figured out the connection problem. Wasn't software, was hardware. Odd error message for a missed solder connection on the 3.0 main board. Couldn't say something like "no signal."

Now my only question is, do I reference the GPIO_Mshift_5101.ini that I downloaded or the mainController.ini that got created when I started the project, when I set the CAN devices on the MS3x?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

blueblazer,

Assuming the serial connection is to the MS3, and MShift is the CAN device (and not the other way around) then you use the MShift INI as the 'device configuration file' under 'CAN Devices'. There is more here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/cpt.html

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
blueblazer

Post by blueblazer »

You are correct sir, the serial connection is to the MS3x.

Tried the MShift.ini and that seems to wipe out my transmission settings. Using the mainController.ini loads all the transmission settings. I'm confused by this a bit as that link to the directions seems to be what you're saying. I've read it several times. What are you thoughts? If it works on mainController.ini then F the instructions and just use it?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

blueblazer,

I am not sure I am following you.

Here's how the process is supposed to work:

1. You set up the engine controller (the one you will connect the serial connection to) in TS under the 'File -> Project -> Project Properties -> Configuration' tab.
a.You navigate to and select the INI for the engine software version you have loaded on your engine controller (i.e. the main controller).
b. TS will make a copy of the INI you navigated to, and put it in the ProjectCfg subfolder under the name "mainController.ini"
c. Set any other settings required (metric/imperial, etc.) under the 'Settings' tab.

At this point the engine controller software should work (you see all the menus and the values in the gauges), but TS will have no CANbus connection to the MShift controller (MShift can still talk to the engine controller over the CANbus to get rpm, load, etc., though).

2. You set up the MShift controller in TS under the 'File -> Project -> Project Properties -> CAN Devices' tab.
a. In this menu, the Main Controller CAN ID (i.e. engine controller CAN ID) should normally be 0.
b. The Serial Protocol should normally be the Firmware Default.
c. In this menu, in a box labelled 'CAN Devices', click the '+' button to add a device. Give it a description if you like.
d. The 'Device CAN ID' is 1 as a default in MShift code, so set the value to that.
e. Under Device Configuration File, click the '...' button and navigate to and select the MShift INI file you have downloaded (and that matches the MShift firmware on your GPIO board).
f. TS will make a copy of the INI you navigated to, and copy it to the ProjectCfg subfolder under the name "CAN1.ini"
g. Under Configuration Settings, set CAN_COMMANDS to 'Activated'.
h. Set any other settings required (metric/imperial, etc.).

Now all the menus for both the engine controller and the transmission controller should be visible, and you should be able to select the trans gauges on the front page as you like.

Note that at no point do you navigate to either mainController.ini or CAN1.ini. TS *creates* these files based on the appropriate source INIs you identify (and recreates then if you select a different INI).

Lance.
blueblazer

Post by blueblazer »

Understood. If I do that though, once I select the MShift_5101.ini and click okay in project properties window the system restarts and shows a difference report of TS vs controller. The TS is all default values for MSHIFT_5101. So I tell it load from controller and all is good that run. When I turn off the key later and then go to restart, i get the difference report again. If I'm not connected with my laptop to tell it to use the controller settings, my engine acts up and idles high and when I shift into gear it slams like my line pressure is at 100%.

So I use the .ini in the transmission project file that is mainController.ini and things seem to work as they should. No difference report and the truck runs fine with or without my laptop.

It's not making sense to me.
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

It's not making sense to me.
Me either, unfortunately. But if it works for you, then it works, and that's the way to go.

Lance.
blueblazer

Post by blueblazer »

I have CAN_Commands set to active on both the MS3x and the Megashift. Should I maybe only have one or the other turned on? Is that maybe what's causing the MS3x to push through a full settings change?
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

bluebazer,

It's possible. B&G 2.920 engine code doesn't use the CAN_COMMANDS setting at all, so it can't be turned on (and that's what I am using here).

Lance.