best can bus wiring?

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
zen

best can bus wiring?

Post by zen »

today...ruby (the 1971 range rover ) decided it would be good to lose all can bus ..great..no gearbox control in peak rush hour with a massive crash 10 miles ahead with 1 mph traffic..just what i needed..NOT

so got her home by using just 3rd (default for gearbox with no control in low range....)

have ripped out ms2 and gpio and all can bus wiring..
WHAT please is the recomended can bus wiring..twisted pair yes, but how many twists per inch etc?..very very tired now of breakdowns..will be hard wiring it in, no more stero jacks!it WONT be screened as i cannot find any suitable cable but will be making my own..OR must it be screened too?
ms2 is in engine bay, gpio is under passenger seat.maybe 4 m cable.

thanks
zen

Re: best can bus wiring?

Post by zen »

so..did my best to copy oe (bmw in this case can bus wiring)

so what i did was get 2 lenghts of nice fire proof (as is now standard, ie not pvc covered) lowish current cable( i recon 8amp continuous), used this as its nice and strong, got Mrs to hold far end of cables together and put my end in a electric drill..
that would them nice and tight and uniform all the way..about 8 turns per inch..its stays wound once released.NOTE lenght will be about 3/4 to 7/8 starting length.
i then wrapped them in a protective plastic cover..i used spiral type, but convoluted tube would be good..

works a treat, used mini automotive grade waterproof connectors either end..NO MORE BLOODY stereo type connectors!!DO NOT USE THEM..they are too unreliable!

note..gpio still didnt work..turns out i corrupted firmware...no idea how!!wasnt burning or programming, putting it down to crap previous can bus lines!
note 2 ..hopefully this will stop my errors in burning...tuner studio has been reporting burn failures...i will let people know if interested..I KNOW I AM NEW TO GPIO, but recon so will everybody be at one stage...THIS IS why i am writing asking questions etc..as am sure others in the future will face the same issues..
I HOPE (as am putting results/outcomes down) they will help others..AS LONG AS THEY DO A SEARCH..lol