Burnout Mode Questions

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
shaodome

Burnout Mode Questions

Post by shaodome »

From what I understand in the docs, burnout mode keeps the car from downshifting back to 1st when in D2. While that makes sense, most trans builders in both the GM boxes and the Toyota boxes prefer to see the WOT burnout in 3rd gear as to not roll the sprag. What are your thoughts on this?
Bernard Fife

Re: Burnout Mode Questions

Post by Bernard Fife »

shaodome,

For the 5.xxx series of code, I am thinking of expanding burn-out mode so that user can specify a gear, at or below which the trans gear will follow the lever position only. Above that it will either follow the auto gear table (in auto mode), or the manual gear selected with the shift buttons (if in manual mode).

So if you set the burn-out mode gear to 3, then the gear would be first if the lever was at 1, second if the lever was at 2, third if the lever was at 3, and auto gear selection otherwise (in manual mode).

This effectively gives us a third shift mode, since you could set the burn-out mode value to the number of gears you have, and the then trans would just follow the lever (lever follow mode). In effect, it becomes a second manual mode that doesn't require shift buttons (in addition to its use for burn-outs in a particular gear).

This is the next thing on my list. If people are interested in it, please let me know if the above implementation seems reasonable.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
mill3833

Re: Burnout Mode Questions

Post by mill3833 »

Shaodome,

Can you comment more on what you said about the sprag?

I'm the user that asked Lance for the 2nd gear start feature. He coined it burn-out-mode, after I told him what I was going to do with it. I remember some GM cars in the mid-90s that would start in 2nd gear if D2 was selected. I think the purpose of this was to be used on icy surface to minimize the possiblity of slipping from a stop sign.

I have a 1994 camaro drag car, built 4L60E (i did it 15 years ago). My PCM did not have this 2nd gear start feature, so during a burn out, I would put it in D2, it would start out in 1st gear, then shift up to 2nd and stay there. That is where I would do the burn out. So I was thinking with this hold 2nd feature, I could just start out in 2nd and skip the shift (wear and tear on clutches?) I've never tried burnout in 3rd.

Lance, recently I've had the chance to try this out at the track. It worked as desired.

If this is 2nd gear start is hard on hard-parts, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Dave