4L80E code

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
dch

4L80E code

Post by dch »

With the release of the GPIO near :D I know there was some intrest in a 4L80E so thought I'd start a discusion on moding the code. I,m just learning about code and need some help, so from what I have found so far no sol32, ISS AND OSS input and output speed sensor and a cleaning pules or dither, TCC at 32Hz and the PC at 293Hz early ,614Hz late. Will it be major changes to the 4L60E code or minor ? thanks Dave
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
Bernard Fife

Re: 4L80E code

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

4L80E support should be straightforward.

The PWM periods are settable in MegaTune.

The input speed sensor is not used on the 4L60E (I suspect it was used on the 4L80E to simplify installations on diesel engines), but it does have an output shaft speed sensor of course. The standard code normally calculates the input speed from the current gear and output shaft speed, but it also has a provision for a 'tach' input speed sensor to be used in 'standalone' mode (no CAN connection to MegaSquirt-II). So I suspect that could be adapted fairly easily.

The code also lets the user spec the output shaft pulse/mile, etc. directly in MegaTune.

That leaves the dither function. This is not a part of the standard code just yet, but I could easily add it. Something like: if not currently shifting, implement the user-set dither period in seconds (0-255) and the duration (0-25.5), where 0 means no dither. Let me look into it...

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
dch

Post by dch »

Thank you Lance, so the HZ the GM use's is not a big issue from what we set it to in the trans code. That was what they used for there code? Then the 32sol we just set to 0 in mega tune and not use it
49 Willys panel wagon, 383stroker, Hilborn EFI conversion,msII v3, EDIS ,4L80E Image
LT401Vette

Post by LT401Vette »

I just need to get my hands on one of those GPIO boards. I am running my 4L80E on a TCI TCU right now, but I would like to get swapped over. It would also make me get TunerStudioMS CAN enabled :)
mgray10

Post by mgray10 »

I too am getting anxious to run my 4l80e; the twin turbo big block eats transmissions like bonbons. :evil:

When is the GPIO board to be released? I would like to do beta testing to help out. :D
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

mgray10,

The GPIO board won't be released for production until existing beta testers (there are several) report back on success, or any of their hardware/software issues are understood and fixed. So far, most of the beta testers have not reported anything back at all (the beta units were sent out in September), so we are waiting to hear from them (Marc and Daniel being notable exceptions - they have provided considerable useful feedback on a number of fronts - from the BOM and instructions, to the harware, code bugs, and missing features).

If legitimate users with transmissions installed and ready for testing want additional beta units, I *might* have one remaining. PM me with the deatails of your application and your snail-mail address and I will consider requests for it.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
BowlingSuperior
Site Admin

Post by BowlingSuperior »

Lance wrote: The GPIO board won't be released for production until existing beta testers (there are several) report back on success, or any of their hardware/software issues are understood and fixed. So far, most of the beta testers have not reported anything back at all (the beta units were sent out in September), so we are waiting to hear from them (Marc and Daniel being notable exceptions - they have provided considerable useful feedback on a number of fronts - from the BOM and instructions, to the harware, code bugs, and missing features).
Yes, if you are a beta tester please try to find time to test out the unit. Lance has spent a huge amount of time with the code and arranging the beta tester. Any type of testing is helpful, its important because this is the last step before we can release as production.

Thanks - Bruce
ca434sbc4

beta testing

Post by ca434sbc4 »

I'd like to help further, we're weather limited until March - 20" of snow and -10 to -30* has curtailed operations..
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Yep, Marc's (ca434sbc4) been a champ, and has done quite a lot of initial testing. The weather isn't co-operating in his part of the world anymore, but he has certainly done more than his share already! Thanks Marc.
STDog

Post by STDog »

Any particular reason the testing results are not posted to the forum?

Or did I just not see them?