Alphanumeric Gear Display..

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Addicted

Alphanumeric Gear Display..

Post by Addicted »

Other than megashift and megasquirt I also like to play around with Arduino micro controllers..

My megashift conversion is on my Audi 80 V6, from the factory it has a display on the dash that shows which position the gear lever is in. I really like this display and didn't want to loose it.

Arduino to the rescue.. I found that Adafruit produce a 0.8" tall 8x8 LED matrix (in various colours) to match my dash I chose red, this is the display : http://www.adafruit.com/products/870 it costs $10

To translate the LED ouputs from the Megashift into an alphanumeric display I chose a Arduino Pro Mini, this is a genuine board produced by Sparkfun : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113 this also costs $10
I chose this because its easy to work with and very very small (fits inside the Megashift case). I did try a Adafruit Trinket which is ever smaller, but found it a pain to work with.

In simple terms I've connected the 4 LED outputs from the megashift to 4 digital inputs on the Arduino. I then wrote a piece of code to convert the digital pattern into P, R, N, 1, 2, 3 and 4. This is then sent to the display via I2C, this means the display only needs 4 wires, 5v, GND, SDA and SCL.
I've fitted a DB9 connector into the end of the case to connect the display. I've also taken the Arduino's TX and RX lines out to this DB9 in case I need to load new code in the future.
The display itself I have fitted inside a simple box produced on my 3D printer, with a screen made from 3mm thick dark smoked perspex:

This is with the LED matrix on full brightness, I can dim it in 1/16 steps...
This photo makes the display look huge! like something from a world rally car :D Its not in reality, its just perspective.. its only 0.8" high
(if you DO want something that looks like a World Rally Car you can simply use the larger matrix that Adafruit produce..)

I plan to run a feed from my dimmable dash lights back to the arduino and use that to dim the display for night use..

I'm more that happy to share all the info for this if anyone is interested, I can upload my Arduino code and even the STL for the 3D printed box if wanted.
Happy to add more detail too if needed... but if your reading this you are probably already skilled enough ;)

I've also used the Arduino to perform a couple of other functions, I've got a digital output for reversing lights, I've also got a bit of code to control my two shift clutches in a way thats outside the megashifts abilities. Within reason I can write additions to the display code for other users as needed..
Attachments
Display Holder.xls
3D printer file for display holder. Change file extension from xls to stl
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Bernard Fife

Re: Alphanumeric Gear Display..

Post by Bernard Fife »

Very cool!
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
gui67

Post by gui67 »

Thanks for the information Addicted.
I never used Arduino before. Is it complicated?
Beside the articles you listed, is there anything else needed to do that? (besides wires and an enclosure for the display?)
Did you place the arduino in the MSGPIO case? using power supply 5V from MSGPIO?
steveh66

Post by steveh66 »

I like it... and very cool Something i would consider doing too.

Thanks For posting
Steve
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

gui67 wrote:Thanks for the information Addicted.
I never used Arduino before. Is it complicated?
Beside the articles you listed, is there anything else needed to do that? (besides wires and an enclosure for the display?)
Did you place the arduino in the MSGPIO case? using power supply 5V from MSGPIO?
Bonjour Guillaume! How is the weather in the beautiful Strasbourg today?

Arduino is very easy to work with. It is designed to be for education. The language is very simple (compared to C++ etc). I could supply/modify the code anyway, the IDE is very easy to use, plug in USB, open the code (called Sketch in Arduino language) and select "Upload"... finished. If you wanted to modify the code yourself it is easy to learn and my code contains a lot of 'comments' to tell you what most things do.

To install the arduino you simply run 4 wires from the GPO circuits (LEDs) to 4 pins on the arduino, 2 wires (i2c)from the arduino to the Display "backback" and then power both with 5v.
I have used the 5v and GND pads at either side of the Ampseal terminal and used them to power the arduino and the display. That way only 4 wires need to leave the GPIO case (I used a DB9 connector). The wires can be very thin, I've used a 4 core 'alarm' cable which is very flexible.
The Arduino is attached to underside of the lid with servo tape (from RC Car)

There are many places that offer 3D printing if you wanted to use my box, or mount it into your dashboardor a project box. I strongly recommend fitting it beind the smoked perspex (I used this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160472848932? ... EBIDX%3AIT )
gui67

Post by gui67 »

Thanks Addicted,
That will be a fun project for this summer. I think I will learn a lot and it might give me some ideas for other applications.
You know Strasbourg? where are you from? For the moment the weather is very nice, 32°C today, very sunny.
Addicted

Post by Addicted »

gui67 wrote:Thanks Addicted,
That will be a fun project for this summer. I think I will learn a lot and it might give me some ideas for other applications.
You know Strasbourg? where are you from? For the moment the weather is very nice, 32°C today, very sunny.
I'm from Winchester, England. Spent holidays as a child in France.. But visited Strasbourg for the first time a couple of years ago.. Nearly every year I drive by Strasbourg on my way to Austria. Beautiful city.
gui67

Post by gui67 »

I placed the order for the 2 components, I will try it in the next weeks and try to find an enclosure to mount it in the car.
Austria is a very nice place for holidays, I often go there as it is only 3 hours drive.
Have a nice day in England, I hope you have good weather too.
zen

Post by zen »

"Have a nice day in England, I hope you have good weather too"

ha ha..av you ever been ere??lol..just spent 2 weeks in cornwall surfing in the rain!!..thats in summer!(mind you 3m swell on 2 days was ok!!)

one can easily make an alphanumeric 2 digit display useing "star " type led displays giving 1 2 3 4 d r p etc + m ,s or e (manual,sport, eco) using old school eprom/eeprom too..or even a pic(for the old guys like me who left school in the 80;s)