AA80E 8-speed

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
johnjohn00

Re: AA80E 8-speed

Post by johnjohn00 »

Jim, you have mail...
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks John but it never showed up. You could try Jim@BlackwoodLabs.com

Jim
johnjohn00

Post by johnjohn00 »

Jim, giant email sent.
Gmail seems to let more than 10MB through these days.
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Lance, I've been thinking about what you said about the PT6 pin designation as part of a group. This may be a problem, but perhaps also an opportunity. I do recall reading something about that in the HSC12 book, though the specifics are a little unclear. I should be able to review tomorrow and will let you know if I gain any clarification. I do recall something about an alternate pin scheme. More research is needed, and I can do that.

In the GPIO they seem to be grouped as PT1, 2, 3, and 4 outputs and PT5, 6, 7, and 0 inputs I believe these are the VR inputs.

If so, I will have to review the spreadsheet and see if there is another configuration that might work. A couple of possibilities come to mind. The first cuts off functionality by stealing one of the gear position output display lines (LED). This is probably the easiest to implement but will hose the digital display. Short term it may be the most sensible solution.

The second is to look and see if there is a possibility of diverting a block of these VR inputs into outputs, Obviously if a smaller block of two could be diverted that becomes more feasible, but even if 4 is the number it could be possible. I just looked at the assignments and note the following:

-PT7 is currently assigned as Spare Output 1 -clutch 2 - SL2. An Output.
-PT5 is the input shaft speed sensor. Not required.
-PT0 is the output shaft speed sensor. This could come in on PEO/VR4 couldn't it? This circuit presently adds no functionality and is redundant.

If we can pull that off, we actually would add two surplus outputs, which could turn out to be of great benefit in the newer transmissions.

Jim
johnjohn00

Post by johnjohn00 »

Jim,

I have no intention of derailing where you're going with this.

I sat down and chewed away on this problem at a logic level and I hope this is a quick work-around.

If i use 4 LED drivers or four solenoid drivers, and if i can generate 16 unique binary numbers with those 4 lines, I can demultiplex the data and have 16 unique commands numbered 0-15.

So, I sat down with the shift strategy for the solenoids and a truth table for 4-16 demultiplex chip and for the princely sum of approximately 'lunch-money' I may have a work around.

The 4-16 demultiplexer chip uses 4 inputs numbered A0-A3 and outputs a single 'low' on one of the outputs Y0-Y15

SL1 and SL2 are in almost all of the shift patterns and in fifth, they are both used. I applied A3 to SL1 and A2 to SL2. I can then use a 3 input OR gate to develop the logic for SL3, SL4, and SL5 with the demultiplexed triggers.

I then select an option for A1 without A2 or A3 activated ( to ignore S1 and S2 ) and use an OR gate to Grab SL4 for the unique Reverse requirement.

So my thoughts are 74HC154 ( now obsolete in a DIP package) and a 74HC/HCT4075 Triple 3-input OR gate and driver transistors on the outputs.

attached are a couple of images so you can have a look at the logic.
command table.jpg
command table.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 28463 times
demultiplex table.jpg
demultiplex table.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 28463 times
johnjohn00

Post by johnjohn00 »

It wouldn't let me attach a fourth file so i'll put the transmission tables here.

The beauty of this Jekyl and Hyde pseudo-multiplexed system is it should give us access to the 10 speed transmissions without further major revision. I have a few lines left in the tables above.
aa80E truth table 1.jpg
aa80E truth table 1.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 28463 times
aa80E truth table 2.jpg
aa80E truth table 2.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 28463 times
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

John, this is pretty interesting and I will look it over more closely over the weekend. On first look the one thing I would mention is, do not overlook the shift trigger solenoid. I think it is SLT. The transmission will not come out of Limp mode without it. As I understand it, SLT is a PWM solenoid which apparently pulses to trigger a shift event. If the PWM signal is not present the transmission will default to limp. The description indicates that if the solenoid is fully closed or fully open limp mode will occur. Hydraulically this would mean that some leakage is required for normal operation.

Jim
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

OK, what I'm wondering about this is, does it require revision of the code to output multiplexed signals? I presume you intend to use the existing shift tables and shift logic and output the commanded gear as a numerical output on the digital lines the same as the LED outputs for the gear position indicator. That's fine as far as it goes, I can see where you could demultiplex the LED outputs to drive the solenoids. But it sounds like you need more hardware, in particular the solenoid drivers themselves, which, except for a coupe of them are already on the board.

But I can see where an add on would have appeal. If you could take the standard build, demux the LED outputs and provide the additional drivers along with the necessary logic for the shift trigger solenoid as an add-on that would have appeal, and like you say it could be expanded to add other outputs if needed. Actually I rather like the idea. Done correctly we could take the standard build Megashift and change nothing other than to enable 8 speed operation. (I'm not sure how you would expand that to a 10 speed, it sounds like that would take software revisions)

I'm quite interested in seeing what your meeting today results in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as to the current state of my efforts, Huang describes, on page 186, assigning port direction stating, "The user can configure a few pins of an I/O port for input and the remaining pins for output."

The most common reading of this statement would be that 2 or 3 pins can be configured as input and 5 or 6 as output. So far I have found nothing in this book to negate that translation. However he doesn't expand on that statement, but only gives an example of alternating pin configuration: movb #$55,DDRB
In the GPIO the pins PT0-PT7 are grouped in fours, PT1-4 as outputs and PT5-0 as inputs. The code for that would be different.

I am not yet familiar enough with the code to decipher this. If instead we wanted to configure pins 5 and 0 as inputs and the remainer as outputs, what would the code look like that would be required to do this? And would it work?

At some point a view was expressed that the pins of a port had to be configured in groups of four. I do not know if this has ever been confirmed but the answer affects us here, and honestly I'm not even sure how to get that question answered.

Jim
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Jim, Google for "Data Direction Register". For the 9S12, the data direction registers are used to specify which pins are inputs and which are outputs. They have names like "DDRA" for port A, "DDRE" for port E, etc You might want to search the source code for DDRA or DDRE, etc. to see how these are being configured now. There are sometimes other considerations for things like timer ports, but the data direction registers are the best place to start learning.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

Thanks, that helps. In this case it would be DDRT. Port "T" has pins PT0-7. From the MC9S12P128 reference manual, DDRT is memory mapped to the 0x0242 location, with the bit numbers corresponding to the pin numbers (Bit 7 = PT7, to Bit 0 = PT0) Does this mean that pin PT5 would be 0x02425? I do not know.

I also do not know if the -128 reference manual (above) is an acceptable reference for this microcontroller, though I would expect that in the same family the port addresses should be much the same. Says it covers:
Covers also MC9S12P-Family
MC9S12P96
MC9S12P64
MC9S12P32

So I'll need to find out again which one this is and see. I also have the:
MC9S12C Family
MC9S12GC Family
Reference Manual
Edit: The memory locations for port T are identical in this manual.

I'm a bit confused by all the numbers.

Jim