Getting Can data from Transmission with arduino

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
gui67

Getting Can data from Transmission with arduino

Post by gui67 »

Hello Lance,
I am building a Lcd gauge getting information from the MS3 ECU via can us with an arduino teensy, like what is done in this topic:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=61723
I am getting the information that are broadcast from MS3, including the speed and current gear that are transmitted from MSGPIO to MS3. But is there a way to get other values like manual great, transmission temperature, transmission pressure... That are only available in the Msgpio?
Thanks
Guillaume
Bernard Fife

Re: Getting Can data from Transmission with arduino

Post by Bernard Fife »

Guillaume,

Yes, you can use the outmsg structure to import*any* 10bytes from the outpc structure. It is described here: http://www.megamanual.com/com/CAN.htm#outmsg

The good thing about the outsmg structure is that Al designed it so that it is user configurable, similar to the thermistor tables. So you can modify it in TS to transfer any of the outpc values you want (though I don't know if anyone is doing this in the field). The engine ECU and MShift need to have the same structures in the outmsg of course.

However, if you are already able to datalog things like manual gear position, trans temperature, etc., through the MS3 comms interface, then MS3 must necessarily be getting the data you need (probably by importing the entire MShift outpc structure that contains all of the datalogable parameters). If that's the case, then you just need to know how MS3 is storing these values, and the best place to ask about that is on the msextra forms.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw