Input for manual/paddle mode

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
Bernard Fife

Re: Input for manual/paddle mode

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

All thanks are to you for spotting and mentioning the issue, and being patient with the fix!

Attached is 5.202tii test code and matching INI. This code fixes your issue on my bench. It also changes the gear gauges to show up to 8 forward gears (I just found that easier when working with your configuration).
Monitor_5202tii.abs.s19
(91.93 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
GPIO_MShift_5202.ini
(314.3 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
However this code has had a number of other changes relating to the implementing of spare ports 4 and 5 (on the upshift paddle input and the table switching input). It may still have bugs in those areas (those it has passed preliminary tests). So use with caution.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Hi Lance,

Tested the code tonight and it works perfectly well, a full suite of 6 gears in order :D Unfortunately my alternator belt shredded and knocked the dry sump belt off :o lucky however that i run my fuel pump mechanically off the dry sump drive so i avoided disaster! Further testing will resume after i sort out these problems.

Thanks again,

Dave
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

I'm glad the code worked, but it's too bad that things didn't go quite to plan - I feel your pain, as I have had situations like that many times in the past. It seems to be part of the process to have these 'hiccups'!
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

I too am wanting to do the 6r80, Dave have you got a component list up to use on the megashift and also where did you get the main harness plug at? Any info is appreciated, fixing to get my board coming in the next week or so as I have the trans ready to go in and I'm just waiting on a controller........would rather do it myself as you have.... :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Mark
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Lance wrote:Dave,

I have found the problem after some head scratching. It turned out to be a problem left-shifting bits in a binary number, the compiler doesn't want to do this with ints (16 bit numbers). I can fix this, but it will be tomorrow before I have something for you.

Lance.
Lance, in Daves setup, looking through the tune, would I use the same components as what is available in the 4l60/80 kits from DIY?
I have tried getting up with Dave but haven't had any luck yet....
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

razzy,

I don't know how Dave built his board (and the vendor is the best place to ask about the contents of their kit). So I couldn't really say at this point (until we have all the details on Dave's build and setup). But Dave might know what he needed besides what is in the kit, and perhaps he will chime in here.
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Thanks Lance, I shot him a PM here and on the bimmer forums as well, hopefully he will pop back in and give some insight. Want to get the board and kits needed ordered together so I can keep it all together....lol

Thanks,
Mark
Thor_patrol

Post by Thor_patrol »

Sorry I've been so long to reply, I haven't been getting notifications from bimmerforums.com or here and haven't touched the car in a while. I'll post all the info soon!

Cheers,

Dave
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

Good deal!! No hurries at the moment I have the trans at the builders now. I have my adapter done to bolt it up so I'm in the home stretch!
One thing I read in your first post was that your trans had an external? Control board vs. an internal one here in the states. Do you think it would be possible to use your style on our transmission?
razzys wagon

Post by razzys wagon »

How we looking? Should have my trans back shortly!!