Spare2 output not working

A forum for discussing applications and implementations of the MegaShift transmission controller code for the GPIO from B&G. This can control up to 8-speeds and 6 shift solenoids (plus a 16x9 table for controlling a PWM line pressure valve). It has manual and fully automatic modes (16x9 load x speed table), with under and over rev-limit protection, and full data logging of all inputs and outputs (among many other abilities). A TransStim to test your completed board is also available.
mill3833

Spare2 output not working

Post by mill3833 »

Am having issues making the Spare2 output work. I can not get it to turn on. When I measure the voltage at the personality header, it measures zero volts ( at the output of the CPU). Want the output to turn on when VSS < 5mph. See attached msq and let me know if anything looks wrong. Thanks.
Attachments
2015-05-29_22.15.17 mshift DVK.msq
(45.89 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Bernard Fife

Re: Spare2 output not working

Post by Bernard Fife »

mill3833,

I will have a look. However, 4.145 code is now obsolete. The current release code is 5.101, and any fixes would be applied to that code, not the 4.14x series of codes. So I suggest you upgrade to 5.101 (here: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html ); it might solve your issue (it had some fixes to the spare port logic). You would have to upgrade to get any particular new fixes for your issue anyhow.

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
mill3833

Post by mill3833 »

Lance,

I loaded up the 5101 sw, same issue.

I removed the personality header, and placed a scope on the CPU side of the Spare2 pin. In the active state, the port is producing a low duty cycle square wave. 10 ms period, the on-time is 250 us. When I clear the condition it goes to zero volts. I also checked the down stream circuitry, the power transistor, and that all is working as expected.

So it is acting like that port is acting like a PWM port, but I'm pretty sure I have it set up as on/off.

If you could look over my msq, I'd appreciate it!

Again, I want Spare 2 to simply turn on when VSS < 5mph and off when greater than 5 mph.

Thanks,
Dave
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

The spare port 2 *always* uses the PWM 1x12 table for the ON values. If you want the spare port to be "ON/OFF", you need to set the entire table to be equal to 100% under 'Spare Ports -> Spare Port 2 PWM Percent'.

The spare ports were done this way to make them more flexible without changing the previous on/off settings (i.e. you can have PWM, but you can also use the table as an additional control element, say 100% PWM for speeds <5mph AND speeds >100mph for example).

Lance.
"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
mill3833

Post by mill3833 »

That did it.
Thanks.

Dave
mill3833

Post by mill3833 »

Well, let me clarify. That worked for the 5101 SW, but not for the 4145 SW.

I rebuilt the 4L60E this winter and was wanting to try it out with the 4145 SW (what I ran last year) to make sure it shifts ok, etc, before switching to new SW. I can live without Spare2 not working (use this as a trans-brake interlock) for the test drives.

Just curious what's up with 4145.

Dave
Bernard Fife

Post by Bernard Fife »

Dave,

I looked in the logs, and it looks like there was an a couple of errors in the spare port 2 (in the conditions and the indexing) and these were fixed sometime between 4.145 and 5.014.

Of course there were a *lot* of other changes between the 4.1xx and 5.0xx codes; these were probably the biggest architectural changes since the code was started.

Lance.