The GPIO Board from Bowling and Grippo
This is the site of the MegaSquirt-II™ CAN-enabled GPIO board from Bowling and Grippo. This board uses CAN networking to communicate with MS-II™ to greatly extend the available inputs and outputs.
Some notable aspects of GPIO board are:
- The GPIO board has the HCS12 C64 processor and CAN (controller area network) chip, which are identical to those on MegaSquirt-II™ (other than a R82 120 Ohm termination thru-hole resistor), and a separate serial connection.
- The GPIO board is designed so that more than one can be used. In fact, up to 15 CAN enabled boards (GPIO or router boards) can be used with MegaSquirt-II™, giving a very large number of possibilities.
- There are 3 types of input circuits and 3 types of output circuits. These are:
- 5 general purpose inputs [GPIx], which can have voltage or resistance input, depending on build-time options (based on the V3 sensor input circuits), these can also be used for software debounced on/off switches,
- 4 VR inputs [VRx] (based on Bruce's EasyVR schematic), for things like transmission controller, vehicle speed indications, or traction control,
- 4 EGT circuits [EGTx] (using AD595 chips), for independent exhaust gas temperature measurements. (These can also be configured for resistance or voltage measurements, similar to the GPIx circuits)
- 4 general purpose outputs [GPOx] (which have user selected 5V or 12V pull-ups, flyback, and LED capabilities),
- 4 PWM outputs [PWMx] (based on the uprated V3 PWM FIdle TIP120 circuit),
- 4 high current circuits [VBx], using the VB921 ignition module driver.
For more information, please select from:
- GPIO Discussion Forums
- GPIO Hardware: Hardware description and technical tips on the GPIO board.
- GPIO Applications:
- MegaShift: A DIY automatic transmission controller for the GPIO board.
- DIY GPIO Code: This is a code template for writing your own code for the GPIO board.
- ... more to come!
©2009 Al Grippo and Bruce Bowling - All rights reserved. MegaSquirt® and MicroSquirt® are registered trademarks.